In teaching and learning English, speaking skill is probably a top priority. Therefore, teachers always strive to find methods, materials, and tools to help learners practice and improve their speaking ability. Bowen's (1982) study has shown that the process of language acquisition is a complex process, in which visual aids play an important role in promoting language learning. Using visual tools in general and images in particular in teaching English speaking skill so far has attracted attention not only of educators but also learners. Therefore, the authors of the article study the role of images in English speaking lessons and the influence on learners' interests through previous studies. Moreover, this study suggests some activities using images to apply in speaking lessons to create excitement for learners
- Byrne, D. (1980).English teaching perspectives. London: Longman.
- Bowen, B., M. (1982).Look here! Visual aids in language teaching. London: Macmillan.
- Cobuild (1987).Collins COBUILD Dictionaries of English. Heinle ELT Publishers.
- Dornyei, Z. (2001).Motivational Strategies in the Language Classroom: Cambridge: CUP.
- Ellis, R. (1997).Second Language Acquisition: Honking OUP.
- Gardner, R.C. (1982).Social psychology and second language learning: The role of attitudes and motivation. London: Edward Arnold Publishers.
- Gardner, R.C., &Lambert, W.E. (1972).Attitudes and Motivation in Second Language Learning: New York: Newbury House.
- Harmer, J. (1991).The Practice of English Language Teaching, London: Longman Group UK Limited.
- Krashen, S. (1985), Language Acquisition and Language Education, AlemanyPress
- Moore, K. D. (1992). Classroom Teaching skill: New York: MeGraw - Hill, Inc.
- Parsons, R. D., Hinson, S. and Sardo-Brown, D. (2001) Educational psychology: a practitioner researcher model of teaching. Canada: Wadsworth.
- Pintrich, P. R., & Schunk, D. H. (2002). Motivation in education: Theory, research, and applications, 2nd edition. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Merrill Prentice-Hall
- Sakar, S. (1999). The Use of Pictures in Teaching English as a Second Language: London: Longman.
- Wright, A. (1984). 1000 Pictures for Teachers to copy: Nelson.
- Wright, A. (1989). Pictures for Language Learning: Cambridge University Press.
- Wright, A., & Haleem, S. (1991). Visual for the Language Classroom: London: Longman Group UK Limited.